Guys, its July 13.
Almost the middle of the middle month of Summer.
I’m already thinking about this fall. Here’s why:
- School. It never ends. At least that’s what it seems like. I’ve been taking a college class online this summer (Macro Economics). I have a test almost every week, which is kind of a pain. But at least I won’t have to take a social science class this fall or next spring. I am getting something accomplished. That’s what counts. I’m also studying a programing language (PHP: Hypertext Processor) this summer, on my own. It’s a challenge, but I’m enjoying it. I don’t enjoy it as much as HTML, because I think it’s ugly. As in, not pretty. I can’t use it make pretty colors, or rounded corners, or less blah fonts. I can however make a message board and add, delete and sort messages with it, so that’s pretty cool. I’m just looking forward to the end of July when I have a few weeks of no school before the fall semester starts back at the End of August.
- Hot. It has been so hot lately. Like, stand perfectly still in the shade and sweat you face off, hot. I’m dreaming about those cool, blue-skied autumn afternoons. Have you ever noticed how faded the sky looks in the summer? It’s like a washed-out blue with hot white closer to the sun. Maybe it’s caused by all the humidity in the air or maybe something else. Do you know? I will say that there are pretty amazing clouds during the summer that you don’t get during other seasons.
- Piano Lessons. I have been
obsessedpreoccupied with the thought of the upcoming year of piano teaching these last few weeks. I’m so excited about it! I’ve been doing a lot of research and making lots of plans to improve my studio and students. I’m still not sure how many students I’ll have, or when I will find time to teach lessons. I hope I can communicate effectively with my students, follow through with the good ideas, and have wisdom to dump the ideas that aren’t helpful.
- Football. Yeah, it’s about the time of year when I start to miss spending Thursday nights cheering on the Bulldogs, Saturdays cheering on the SEC, and Sundays cheering on the opponents of our least favorite teams.
- 10¢ Pencils. Yes! I’m so excited about office supplies going on sale. When are all the office supplies you could want on sale for supper cheep? Only in back-to-school season, that’s when. I could spend hours in an office supply store, drooling over pencils, studying pens, sniffing Sharpies, thumbing through notebooks, caressing binders, test driving office chairs… . Okay, maybe not test driving office chairs, but maybe testing them after a long walk around the store.
- Music. There have been several times in the last few days when I’ve though about starting to compile my autumn playlist on Spotify. I would add songs that make me think of Thanksgiving and all the great books that have fall-time stories about forts, and pilgrims, and indian attacks, and French Canadians, and canons, and canoes, and school and adventures. All the good stuff you tend to read about in the fall, at the beginning of the school year.
- Old. And speaking of school, I’m sad, for the second year in a row, that I won’t be starting another year of home school. I remember how much fun it was to see all the new readers and read-alouds, judge them by their covers, and then dive into the story and forget all the misconceptions you formed a few minutes before. College Textbooks just don’t give you the same kind of rush. In many ways, I’m glad I’m not still being homeschooled as a 20-year-old, but first day of [college] school just can’t compare with first day of [home school] school.
What have you been looking forward to lately? Tell me in the comments!